LOGAN — The rape trial for Kay K. Moosman has been postponed again. The 59-year-old Mendon man’s two-day trial was originally scheduled for February 6 and later rescheduled for June 5.
Court staff report Moosman appeared in 1st District Court Monday morning. He was previously charged with rape, sodomy and object rape, all first-degree felonies; along with voyeurism and multiple counts of violating a protective order, all misdemeanors.
Moosman was arrested last June after the alleged victim reported the assaults to Cache County Sheriff’s deputies. The defendant was apparently acquainted with the woman, who had previously filed a protective order against him.
Later, Moosman is alleged to have tried to cancel the woman’s cell phone account and vehicle insurance. When confronted by officers, he said the whole thing was a big misunderstanding.
Court records show, Moosman waived his right to a preliminary hearing in September. He also pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.
During Monday’s court appearance, defense attorney Greg Skordas said he had another trial in federal court in June and asked for a new trial date.
Judge Thomas Willmore scheduled the new jury trial to begin October 17. It also is expected to last two days.
Moosman could face up to life in prison if convicted. He is currently out of jail after posting $5,000 bail.