Richmond man accused of sexually abusing two girls appears again in court

LOGAN — A 38-year-old Richmond man accused of sexually abusing two girls appeared in court, after asking a judge for a new public defender.

Dustin James Mangum was in 1st District Court Monday afternoon. His public defender, Bryan Galloway told the court he had met with the defendant, who had since changed his mind after writing the court a letter, making the request.

Outside the courtroom, Galloway said, during the last few months he had been relaying plea deal offers to the defendant from prosecutors. Mangum wasn’t pleased with them and had thought that with another attorney, a more favorable deal could be negotiated.

Mangum has been charged with 10 counts of sodomy of a child and 15 counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child. Each charge carries a penalty of five-years-to-life in prison.

State attorneys allege that Mangum sexually abused a girl in May 2003. The victim, who is a teenager now, claims the abuse occurred when she was around four-years-old. A second victim is an 11-year-old girl who claims she was sexually abused over the course of several years, before the defendant was arrested August 19.

Galloway said he is going to continue to work with prosecutors, looking at other options.

Judge Kevin Allen also ordered the defendant to have no contact, either directly or indirectly, with the victims or their mother.

Mangum remains in the Cache County Jail, being held without bail. He is scheduled to appear again in court January 23.

<hr /><p style=”text-align: center;”>will@cvradio.com

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!